Friday, May 28, 2010

Breaking Ground Part One

We have had a long run of hot, sunny, intermittently steamy days with temperatures up to 90 degrees Fahrenheit, which irks me mostly because we do not yet have ideal watering systems in place for animals or plants but also because when I moved away from North Carolina I thought, "Well, at least I will get away from the oppressive summer climate." Come to find out that global warming is plotting against me personally.

But truly, things look to me like they will turn out alright. Last summer was incredibly cool and wet, and yet still we had enough food to eat through the winter. If this summer proves to be the opposite, just look out for our killer melon crop and an abundance of tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, and squash.

Below is a series of photos of the initial day of plowing and disc harrowing in the future vegetable fields. Oai and Minh are buzzing around on the lawn tractor they found in our barn that Oai fixed up.





Four-bottom moldboard plow at work.








Jonathan and Tyler plowing off into the sunset...

No comments:

Post a Comment